WYPR Breaking News:

You are viewing an old version of the WYPR website active only for archiving purposes.  Please visit http://wypr.org/ for the new version of our site.

A Blue View: Every Drop Counts 9-17-2013

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

Every Drop Counts

A lot of us take water for granted. We simply turn on a faucet, and there it is, in seemingly endless supply.

Freshwater, however, is not as plentiful as you might think. Yes, the world is 70 percent water, a staggering amount. Of that water, 97.5% is salt water. The rest, just 2.5%, is freshwater. And of that, less than 1 percent of the world’s freshwater is available for use by people.